The Midwives Model of Care is a alternate approach to pregnancy and childbirth than contemporary obstetrics. Midwifery care is uniquely nurturing, hands-on care before, during, and after birth. Midwives are health care professionals specializing in pregnancy and childbirth who develop a trusting relationship with their patients, which results in confident, supported labor and birth. While there are different types of midwives practicing in various settings, all midwives are trained to provide comprehensive prenatal care and educations, guide labor and birth, address complications, and care for newborns.
Midwives Model of Care
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother through out childbearing
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and pre-natal care.
- Hands-on assistance during labor and delivery and post-partum support
- Minimizing technological interventions that are not needed for a particular low risk patient
- Identifying and referring patients that need high risk obstetrical attention
SOGA is excited to offer this model of care to our patients. While we feel that our physicians along with the hospital nurses in Breese practice in a very similar manner, adding a midwife to our team will only enhance our practice. If you have questions about our midwife, Megan Schniers, please see her page, or call the office for an appointment to meet with her.